Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Countdown 2 Countdown: Five Odd Things from the WC

Today's installment in our irregularly-timed "Countdown to the Countdown to the World Cup of Eating, 2010" (yes, I know it has a different title every time....):

FIVE ODD THINGS FROM RECENT WORLD CUPS

5. "Korea Team Fighting." This was (and is?) the South Korean team's slogan. Part of me loves it, and part of me thinks it sounds like the kind of bad translation from an Asian language that is usually reserved only for instruction manuals for electronics like big-screen TVs and DVD players.










4. The "German Mannschaft." In German, I am to understand that this means the equivalent of "The German National Soccer Team." But in English, it's just... disturbing.







3. The Australians and their %$#& inflatable yellow and green kangaroos.







2. Scotland's "Tartan Army" getting drunk in Paris. I would give quite a bit to hang out with my Scottish kin at a World Cup-- but Scotland has to actually qualify for another one first!



1. Ecuador's "Spider Man" celebrates a goal! I have no idea what this is all about. Truly. But--you're #1, dude!








No comments: